A foreign national holding a D, Z, X or J-1 visa should initiate residence formalities with the Entry and Exit Administration Department of Wuhan Municipal Public Security Bureau within thirty days upon his or her arrival in China.
A foreign national who is taking up employment and filling a position in China should initiate residence formalities with the Entry and Exit Administration Department of Wuhan Municipal Public Security Bureau by presenting his or her “Z” visa and his or her Alien Employment Permit issued by the labor authority or Foreign Expert Certificate issued by the Foreign Experts Bureau. According to the law, foreign nationals who come to China for investments, economic, scientific and cultural cooperation with Chinese enterprises or public institutions, or other purposes and thus need to reside in China for a long period of time, can obtain long-term residence permit or permanent residence permit on approval of Chinese government authorities; the local police stations are responsible for the management, service and supervision of the residence. If in need, please contact the local police stations in a timely manner. Emergency call: 110; fire emergency call: 119.
To obtain a residence permit, the applicant should answer all questions asked and provide the following documents:
(1) The original and one copy of his or her valid passport and visa;
(2) Completed The Foreign National Visa and Residence Application Form, with a recently-taken 2-inch half-length photo attached (full faced and bareheaded);
(3) Certification of registration for stay issued by the local police stations or local hotels (Residence Registration Form for Foreigners sealed).
(4) The Original Health Certificate issued by Hubei International Tourism and Health Care Center.
(5) Other certifications and materials required for residence.