Traffic Violations

    A foreign national for temporary residence in China who intends to drive a vehicle should apply for a temporary Chinese driver’s license with the vehicle administration office at the port of entry or city of departure, and should carry the license, if granted, at all times and drive safely.
    A foreign driver in Wuhan who has been warned or fined by a traffic police officer for a traffic violation has the right to defend himself. The interpreter of the foreign driver should interpret the officer’s statement to the foreign driver on the spot. If the foreign driver objects to the administrative penalty, he or she shall have the right to apply for administrative reconsideration or litigation in accordance with the law.
    A foreign vehicle on a temporary trip to China should apply for a temporary Chinese license plate and driving license from the public security bureau in entry areas or origins of the foreign vehicle and register his or her postal address and telephone number with the proper authorities in Wuhan.
    A foreign driver in Wuhan with a traffic violation captured by a surveillance camera should respond to the traffic violence notice in the Office of Traffic Illegal Records in Traffic Police Station. His or her driver’s license and motor vehicle license are required in the response.